Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Tofu Fajitas

Last night Jade and I decided to have a movie date.  We went to see Avengers.  All my "friends" on Facebook said this movie was awesome and really entertaining, so I was excited to see it.  The movie was just okay.  I am a HUGE fan of the X-Men movies, but Iron Man and the Avengers just didn't do it for me.  I still had a great time because, honestly, the one thing I look forward to the most about going to the movies is the popcorn.  Especially in Mexico.  Going to the movies is pretty affordable here.  On Tuesdays, they have 2 for 1 tickets and 2 large drinks and a large popcorn is less than $10!  Mexican movie theaters also have a VIP theater.

Reclining in the VIP chair!


You get your own private waiter, a nice reclining chair, and whatever you want to eat and drink.  Seriously, beer, wine, alcohol, coffee, chocolate cake, sushi, candy, hot dogs, popcorn.



Before we went to the theater, I made Tofu Fajitas and served them with rice, beans, and guacamole.  Jade isn't a big fan of tofu, so I made him taco meat.  Most of the time he is pretty good about eating my vegetarian cooking, but every so often I end up preparing 2 meals.  Pick your battles couples!

When buying tofu, I prefer to buy firm or extra firm.  I like my tofu to hold its shape.  If adding to spaghetti sauce, soft or medium is fine.  It will grumble and incorporate well into the sauce.



Tofu Fajitas

1/2 block of extra firm tofu
1/2 red pepper
1/2 yellow pepper
1/2 green pepper
1/4 red onion
1/2 jalapeno
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/2 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli powder
Black pepper
2 TBS soy sauce
1 lime
cilantro

Drain tofu in a strainer and gently push excess water out with a spatula.  Cut tofu in strips.  Coat the bottom of a frying pan with olive oil (1 TBS) and heat over medium heat.  Add all spices and mix well.  Add tofu strips and stir fry until brown.  Meanwhile, cut all vegetable into strips.  Add to frying pan.  Add soy sauce and juice from 1 lime.  Continue to stir fry until vegetables are tender and tofu is nicely browned.

Serve with tortillas, cheese, beans, and guacamole, and garnish with cilantro.



Today, I was planning on going for a long run on the beach, but I woke up to this



And it's been raining all day.  I guess I'm just going to settle for Pilates tonight with some friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment