Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mexican Fruits

Living in the Caribbean has provided me with the opportunity to expand my cultural pallet, as well as my taste pallet.  I'm so fortunate to have the opportunity to meet new and interesting people and travel.

Since moving to PdC in January, I have learned to scuba dive, traveled across the Yucatan, swam with the sea turtles, visited the 7th Wonder of the World ...twice, went to my first Mexican wedding, and become fluent in Spanish.  I've also braved outside my comfort zone and tasted new flavors and textures of foods very different from the traditional American cuisine-- shocker, there is more to food than hamburgers, french fries, and fried chicken! 

The Yucatan cuisine consists of unique with foods and flavors you can only find here.  One of my favorite spices is called xcatic (pronounced sh-ka-tic) and is typical Yucateca.  In PdC, you can find food prepared this way at Yax-che and Casa del Agua, two of my favorite restaurants here.

As my readers know, I love the fresh fruits and vegetables I can buy in PdC year around, and for a fraction of the cost in the US of A.  

Check out these different, and beautiful, fruits that are grown locally.


This fruit is called Tuna, and don't let the name fool you.  It tastes like a pamagranate and has a bright red color on the inside with edible seeds.





This fruit is called pitaya and is beautiful on the inside and out.  It's flavor is sweet, not at all sour or bitter. 



 Aren't they beautiful?  To eat, simply peel off the skin and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Chris Newton - just about the photo of the two of you in the open field. I am sorry I haven't met you yet but that photo captures Jade' style and personality (as I knew him) perfectly. No doubt yours too, hard to gauge just from the blogs. Great photo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. My Dad took the picture of us in one of his wheat fields as our "engagement photos." I don't think anything can get prettier than a field of wheat blowing in the breeze. Keep reading the blog. I will try to be more diligent and creative about blogging.

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment