Saturday, August 11, 2012

Back in the kitchen

This week, Jade's computer has been on the fritz, so out of boredom, he's been helping me in the kitchen.  My husband is a great cook, so I'm happy to share the cooking duties with him, although most of the time, he creates a bigger mess in which I get to clean up!  BUT, I'll take doing dishes + a homemade meal by my man any night!

There really is nothing that says summer time more than a man working the grill.



Last night was my turn back in the kitchen, and I created a delicious Salmon with Fettuccine Alfredo.




Salmon Fettuccine Alfredo


Ingredients:

  • 2 4 oz Salmon Filletes
  • non-stick cooking spray
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 1/4 c chopped onion
  • 5 fresh mushrooms*
  • 2 TBSP butter
  • 3 cloves garlic- minced
  • 2 TBSP flour
  • 2 cups skim milk
  • 3/4 c Parmesan and Romano cheese
  • chia seeds**
  • 4 cup Spinach Fettuccine- cooked according to package instructions

Instructions:


Coat aluminum foil with cooking spray and place the salmon fillets.  Season with salt and pepper and another mist of cooking spray.  Broil in oven 3 inches from heat until easily flakes off with a fork (approx 10 minutes).  Meanwhile, heat oil in a small skillet.  When hot, add onion and mushrooms and cook until translucent.  Melt butter in a medium-sized sauce pan.  Add garlic, and saute for 1 minute.  Add flour and cook for 1 minute, gradually adding milk and stirring continuously with a wire whisk.  Cook an additional 10 minutes and add the onions and mushrooms.  If necessary add additional milk.  Add 1/2 cup of the cheese and stir until melted.  Serve over pasta and top with salmon.  Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

* You can substitute different vegetables, zucchini, eggplant, etc... or omit the mushrooms and onions all together.  This is a very basic sauce and can be manipulated to your taste buds easily.



** After cooking the salmon, I sprinkled each fillet with a pinch of chia
seeds.  These super foods are making headlines and grabbing a lot of attention.  After reading Born to Run, I knew I had to try them.  I'm still not brave, or hungry, enough to make the chia smoothie described in the book.  Sorry Tarahumara, that sounds disgusting.  



This recipe also makes quite a bit of sauce.  If you are cooking for more than 2 people, broil 2 more salmon fillets and make more pasta.  You will have more than enough sauce for 4 people. 

I didn't get enough veggies (or colors) from the fettuccine, so I put together a beautiful romaine lettuce side salad.  YUM!





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment