Monday, August 27, 2012

Cozumel Vacation

After a few not-so-fantastic rides on the ferry from Playa to Cozumel, we finally got over to Mexico's largest Island for some diving without any problems or delays.  We scheduled our dives with Sergio and Aquatic Sports again and we were not disappointed.  We arrived on Wednesday, and went to Paradise Reef for a night dive.  We saw at least 4 octopi, a torpedo ray, and dozens of enormous crabs and lobsters.

After our dive and a shower at our very nice, but economic, downtown hotel, Hotel Flamingo, we had dinner at Al Pie de Carbon.  For dinner I had soup and salad, but the best thing we ordered was this cheesecake with strawberries, blue berries, and mango.




After a good night's sleep, we woke up bright and early for another day of diving. 


Can you tell Jade is super excited to be up early?
 

This time we went to 4 Piedras and El Bajo de Punta Azul de Sur.  4 Piedras was incredible with colorful caves and walls.  I dove 105 feet, but you could really go much deeper.  El Bajo de Punta Azul de Sur was out-of-this-world amazing.  We went through caves full of tiny fish and barracudas.  After the area of the caves and reefs opened up to the sand ocean floor, we saw eagle rays and TONS of star fish.  This was by far the best decompression dive I've ever done.  Needless to say, we were not excited to go back to PdC after these dives.  We talked Sergio into taking us out again the next day, and we prepared to stay another night.




On the top of our hotel watching the sunset and having a cocktail.



Hotel Flamingo's drink of the day:  Mai Tai



Watching the cruise ship in the distance while the sun disappears quickly.





After a few drinks, we were ready for dinner.  Jade found Kondesa online, and it was probably one of the best meals we've had in Mexico.  I ordered spring rolls and a tropical salad.  The hubs had Poblano Chicken with a mole sauce that was phenomenal too.  This place is romantic and low-key, but can also be a great spot for friends.  Try the strawberry lemonade for an adult beverage... so good!




After convincing Sergio to take us out one more day, we dove Palancar Bricks and Chankanab Shallow.  Palancar Bricks was my favorite dive EVER!  We dove along the wall.  I went about 120 feet, but Jade went to 140 feet.  I imagine that being in outer space is comparable to what this dive felt like.  On this dive I saw my first shark (only a nurse shark- not like Shark Week), and as we were doing our safety stop, a turtle came down to say hello to us.  I am in love with this dive. 

Here is Sergio's video of our dive



After our wonderful little vacation, I was really sad to come back, but I was sooooo happy to see this guy.




I missed this smooshy face so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment