Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Eggplant + Tofu Parmesan

Last night, my meat-loving brother tried tofu for the first time.  He also tried eggplant, but his reaction wasn't quite so... animated?



I prepared a vegetarian mixture of dishes because I was really craving the protein from the tofu, but I had an eggplant that was getting a little soft.  I combined an Eggplant Parmesan recipe with a Tofu Parmesan recipe, and I thought the final product was delicious.

Eggplant + Tofu Parmesan

  • 1 eggplant- peeled and sliced
  • 1 pkg of tofu- 1/4 in slices
  • 1 egg
  • 2 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
  • olive oil for frying
  • 1 jar of prepared spaghetti sauce
  • oregano, basil, salt and pepper
  • 2 cups Mozzarella, Romano, and Parmesan shredded cheese
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and seasonings in a bowl.  Beat the egg until incorporated in a separate bow.  Dip each slice of tofu in the bread crumbs until covered completely and place in a pan with olive oil and fry until each side is golden brown.  Meanwhile, dip the eggplant into the egg and then into the bread crumbs until completely coated.  Place on a cookie sheet and bake 5 minutes on each side.  

Cover a 9x13 in pan with half of the prepared spaghetti sauce.  Layer half of the tofu and eggplant slices.  Sprinkle with 1 cup of the shredded cheese.  Repeat layers ending with the shredded cheese.  Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is completely melted and sauce is bubbly.  

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you. Leave me a comment